Click here to view recipe.
I am always on the lookout for “make ahead” breakfast items. This includes scones, breads, refrigerated Muesli, egg bites, etc. And then I happened upon a recipe for Baked Oatmeal. I looked further at many different versions of this dish and settled on a recipe in the Joy of Cooking. It seemed intriguing and within the span of a week I have made it twice, just for the two of us.
I must admit I have eaten this not only for breakfast, but as an afternoon snack when I craved something chewy, healthful and filling. And today I am taking half my batch to my youngest Seattle grandsons to see how they like it!
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups coconut milk – I have made this with regular cow’s milk too but I love coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen berries or fresh berries if you have them in summer-no need to defrost them if frozen but be sure they aren’t sticking together
- ½ cup of combined sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chopped toasted walnuts or almonds. I used a combo of sunflower, pumpkin seeds and toasted pecans but you could do all nuts or all seeds, your call.
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup – honey would work too
- 2 Tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut – optional
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tsp sparkly white sugar to sprinkle on top
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees and butter an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
Begin by adding the coconut milk to the oats, stirring and letting them soak while you get the other ingredients ready. Combine all the remaining ingredients (except the sparkling sugar) in a medium bowl, add to the soaked oats and be sure everything (especially the frozen berries) are evenly dispersed, then pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle top with sparkling sugar if desired.
Bake until the top is golden and the oats are set, about 25- 30 minutes.
Leftovers can be kept refrigerated for up to five days. To serve, reheat slightly in the toaster oven or microwave. I do not add syrup or milk but some might prefer this..